Water Tanker Permits

This page explains water tanker permits - when they are required and how to get one.

About the Permits

All users of bulk water from a Tasman District Council network (potable water suppliers, contractors etc) are required to hold a current permit to take water. All permits issued will expire annually on 30 June. 

This is outlined in the Tasman District Council Water Supply Bylaw that came into effect on 28 October 2016. The Bylaw requires that only the New Zealand Fire Service can freely draw water from fire hydrants for the purpose of fighting fires, training and testing.

Permit users pay an annual permit fee covering the cost of the hydrant standpipe, connection fees, administration and annual testing costs of the backflow prevention device.

Please note that contractors supplying potable water to the public are also required to complete the following:

  • Register on the Ministry of Health’s Register of Community Drinking- Water Supplies and Suppliers.
  • Comply with the requirements of Section 11, Drinking-water Standards for New Zealand 2005 (Revised 2008)

Application Form

@todo - link to water supply bylaw.

Further Information

If you require more information about Water Tanker Permits, please contact the Engineering Services Department:

Last modified: