Before you apply: research, planning advice and pre-application assistance

If you think you may need a Resource Consent, we recommend you talk to us before you submit your application.

Before you apply for a Resource Consent, you should:

  • Gather your information, and
  • Come and talk to us to make sure you've covered everything you'll need.



Gather your information

What information will I need?
Come and talk to us

What help is available?

There are three main options for obtaining information and guidance:

  1. Duty Planning Advice
  2. Duty Planning Advice (complex)
  3. Pre-Application Advice.

Guidance document

For more detail on these options, download

Duty Planning and Pre Application Advice Brochure (pdf, 1.2 MB)

Urban design 

If you're undertaking a major project such as new urban developments or buildings, 'greenfield' subdivisions or a prominent or strategic development, you may also be able to get help from the Urban Design Panel. 

Read more about the Urban Design Panel

Option One: Duty Planning Advice for straightforward proposals
Option Two: Complex Duty Planner advice, for less straightforward proposals
Option Three: Pre-application advice for complex proposals

Last modified: